Monday, January 11, 2010

What's your life verse?

Life verse. This is something I hadn't really heard of until about 6-7 years ago. I started to hear this term being used in a series of fiction books I was reading and became curious as to how many others lived their life with a "life verse". Turns out, many do! Looking back I seem to have always gone back to a certain verse in the Bible when I ran across valleys and mountains in my life. Jeremiah 29:11 says... "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future." I guess this was sort of my life verse without really knowing it. Of all the verses in the Bible this one speaks to me the most consistently. When I graduated from high school I marked it in my Bible the first time. It reminded me that even though I felt a bit lost going off to college and a little overwhelmed with the next phase of life, God had a plan for me. And it was a good one. This verse stumbled back to me when I found myself knee deep in a party phase, in debt, and clueless as to what I should do with my life. Again, God told me he had a plan. And still, it was good and filled with hope. Later on as I found my way off a too well traveled path and onto a more straight and narrow one, God again told me He planned to bring me hope and a future... even after many mistakes. And so it goes... when I married, had a baby, changed jobs, lost friends, fought with family members, struggled with a purpose, lost self-esteem, lost a baby, had another baby, made a house a home, started new relationships, and so on... God has been steadfast with His promise. He truly did and still does have a plan for my life. It has been filled with hope and a future and though I haven't been able to see it as times... He's been there holding up His end of the deal. Having a life verse has comforted me and given me strength when I couldn't do that for myself.

How about you? Do you have a life verse? A piece of scripture that you turn to on a regular basis? Some of the word that drives your inner-self to keep going when it's tough and praising joyfully when it's just lovely on this side of heaven? I believe life verses can shift at times. Even though this verse from Jeremiah stays with me often, I've found other verses to guide me through certain seasons of my life too. A handful of verses are written in my notebook of "anything and everything" and each have spoken to me in different times. I love the verse from Jeremiah though and it will continue to be a verse I carry with me through this life even if it has a side kick or two at certain moments.

As a mother I want my children to grow up filled with God's word. I want them to find truth and meaning in God's promises and stories. My prayer is that they too will find a life verse to guide them along the way...or bring them back when and if they've fallen off that well guided road at some point in their own lives.

If you have a life verse I'd love for you to share it with me today! If you don't, check out Jeremiah 29:11. It's sure to speak to you as it has to me so many times in my life. Happy verse hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment