Monday, May 10, 2010

It's Mother's Day! (or it was)

Okay, when I started this post it WAS actually Mother's Day. Then I had to relabel it "It's Mother's Day (In Mexico)" and now it is 2 days past and here I am finally finishing this post. Two days late. Oh well. Life has been....well, life of course. ... where do the days go? I just don't know. So, a couple days late... but here is my post that I had very good intentions of having out on the actual Mother's Day celebrated in America :) Just my ramblings as I process what motherhood is about to me today...

Mother's Day... a precious day for many and for some a struggle to get through without a tear or two shed. Today I want to celebrate all the mother's in our world. I see a strong resemblance between the leaders of today and the mother's that helped get them there. I also see a strong resemblance between the well intentional mothers and the children that are making a difference in our world, big and small. Not only are children being effected, but families are being shaped by the "hand that rocks the cradle" too. I truly believe that families shape our culture and that you can see what our culture is about if you look inside our families. Therefor, mother's have a serious job ahead of them as they help lead our families towards ways of God and not of this world. To complete such a task can not be done alone usually and often times requires a village of people. The old saying "it takes a village to raise a child" is no less about the children then it is about the parents too.

Today is a day to be proud to be given the role as mother and humble to be given such a gift. It is a day to thank and love our own mother's or women who have been like mother's to us. It is a day to encourage and love the mom's in our lives. So many great mom's I know play their mother position surrounded by a team of involved players in the parenting game. Like Jesus surrounded himself with 12 disciples to walk through earthly life with, mother's too need a sound team by their side as they play along in the game of motherhood. If there is ever a time to check your pride at the door, it is now.

My team of players has been huge in shaping me as a mother. Between my husband, a handful of close friends, a couple life mentors, my grandmother, my own mother, and my sister in laws I have a bench full of people willing to walk me through each play. I think too often I try to do this life alone and over and over again I am reminded how little I can do without the love, support, grace, and encouragement of those key people surrounding me. I am challenged in so many ways to grow spiritually, physically, and emotionally which in the end always results in me being a better mother. My team of players helps me stay focused on the big picture... not the daily grind stuff that can become mundane and start to seem unimportant, but the importance of each moment and the way I live it to help me get to the goal at the end of motherhood. Don't we all wish for our children to grow up and be healthy, happy, selfless, loving, grace filled, and Jesus serving adults that are making an impact on our community and world? To get them there is a BIG job...one filled with guidance from our Savior, intentional parents, and a village of people who want the same for our children.

I guess today on Mother's Day I want to thank the amazing people in my life who make me a better mom. I want to encourage you to seek out your team of players if you don't have one. Pay attention to who and what you surround yourself with. Like Jesus choose his disciples wisely, choose your team wisely too. After all they are helping bring up your children! Look around and see who you could cheer on as they walk through motherhood. Learn from one another and celebrate the blessing of motherhood. Having so many beautiful people in my life make Mother's Day all that more special. I hope your day has been filled with good things, good people, and good laughs! As you fulfill your purpose in motherhood just know this is a time in your life to share... share your life with those around you and don't be afraid to let a few in yours too. Happy Mother's Day to all of you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment