Friday, May 14, 2010

do-overs anyone?

Last night I went to bed feeling like I could've done better. Much better. I'm not sure when it hit me yesterday, but I suddenly got this overwhelming feeling that my house was total chaos and out of control. Water had leaked into our basement and I found myself cleaning like a mad woman on my hands and knees. Then I started to notice "everything else". Toys are scattered everywhere, mostly from my 2 year old who simply likes to dump any box or basket he can find in his path. Windows need washed again even though I just did it 2 weeks ago. Laundry needs done, as always. The floors need a good scrubbing, bathtubs need washed, and drawers need sorted through for summer clothes to have room. My garage needs a good hour or two spent in it to just sort yard toys and rid of old ones that serve little purpose anymore. Not to mention my storage area that is getting smaller and smaller due to the pile up of "stuff". Dinner dishes still needed done and my kids were bugging me to read another book. I haven't even mentioned my dang dog. For some reason she feels the need to pee every time a person walks through our front door...or any door for that matter! I have cleaned dog pee up from my new couch, 2 carpet areas, my favorite snuggle blanket, and under the dining room table in the last 24 hours!!! While I am at it I might as well tell you I also have cleaned the sheets on both boy's beds from the night before from them peeing through them!! Crimeny! Can I get a break!?!? There... I ranted every little thing piling up on my brain up to this point from the last 24 hours.

You know what? I went to bed last night feeling like I could have done so much better. I spent a lot of my day panicked about getting caught up in my house and cursing a little bit under my breath at my stupid dog. I live in a home with 2 young kids and I should hope that things are piling up the way I feel they are. It means books are being read, games are being played, bikes are being ridden, cookies are being baked, and family meals are being cooked. Not to mention we have enough stuff to wear something different everyday of the week...heck, maybe even everyday of the next 3 weeks! We have toys to challenge our imagination and cozy beds to take long naps in. We are comfortable, healthy, and happy (at least when we are not freaking out about house cleaning! :-). I woke up this morning thankful for a do-over day. Most days I handle the clutter in my home gracefully, but every so often the perfectionist organizer clean freak seeps out of me and I become a little cloudy about my priorities and blessings. I also become a bit crazy (so ask my husband)!!

I hate that I let such things pile up on my heart and I react so poorly to the things that really matter. If I could do-over yesterday I would have sat and read for an hour with my kids. I would have maybe used paper plates for dinner and just gone for a bike ride with the fam after we ate, instead of hiding down in my basement sorting and folding laundry while let the floors dry from a scrubbing before dinner. I would have sat by the bath tub while the kids bathed like I usually do and squirt them with water or sing or play cars, instead of using the time to quick pick up the toys on their bedroom floors. I would have sat down with my husband and watched our favorite TV show, instead of cleaning up the toy room after the kids went to bed. I would have even let the dog out of the kennel and let her fall asleep by me.

I am thankful for today. I am thankful God gives us do-overs each day. I hated the way I felt going to bed last night, but I am hopeful I can get my heart and head in the right place today. Do-overs are good. Thank goodness I woke up today to try again. Time to go... my poor dog wants out of his kennel and I want to bake some goodies for snack today!

2 comments:

  1. Thank the Lord for do-overs!! I think about this concept alot. Even in the middle of the day, when the morning is bad and we're all a bit cranky... I determine to make after naps a bit better. A lot of times that begins with my attitude toward situations! My kids take their cues from me!! Thanks for this reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog, I'm really not sure how, and read this post. It rings so true for me too. Thanks for your inspiration. When I'm having a rough day or a night like you recently had, I think I'll come back and read this post again.

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete