Friday, October 22, 2010

what I do and don't do

There has been some buzz around my group of friends lately about what we do and don't do. The lists are filled with anything from 'I do recycle" to "I do read my Bible everyday" to "I don't garden" and "I don't watch TV". I have been thinking a lot about this myself recently and it seems to be a good practice to just write down and help clarify what I do and don't do. Some of the things in my do lists are things I want to do better and don't necessarily do much of right now. Same as with my don't do lists. There are things I do right now that I hope to not do soon. (for example I wish I wasn't addicted to good TV shows!!!) So in at attempt to bring some clarification to my purpose right now here is part of my lists. I'm only sharing some of it because to be honest I am embarrassed to share it all!

I do...read to my kids everyday. exercise fairly regularly. connect with friends, deeply and often. garden. spend time in my child's classroom. prepare good meals and has my family sit at the table for at least one of them a day. read the Bible with my family. read books almost everyday. grocery shop with organized meals in mind. send cards to people in my life. pray for others often. check in with family members. hug my kids everyday. kiss my husband everyday. spend time with families and their kids. give money to those with less then me. spend time outdoors.

I don't... recycle (I wish I did but I'm just not at that place where I can make it work yet). waste time on the Internet (and getting better at limiting email and blogging time :). make homemade things. don't sew.volunteer outside of my home much right now (more on this topic in another post). have a clutter free home. attend every mommy group I'm invited to. lead much of anything other then my household (this came off my do lists a few years ago when I used to lead a lot of things). work outside the home. make a lot of money.

This is just a handful of things on my original list. As I wrote my "I don't" lists I often had to have a reason or an excuse as to why I don't do it. So many of us mom's think we need to do it all. It's just not so. We are not made to do all things and part of what makes us uniquely made is that we each have our own set of skills and gifts that we get to use. I have found this list making freeing in some ways and also humbling. It helps me really focus on what I believe to be my purpose right now, this very moment in life. Sure, I wish I did some of the things in my "I don't" lists but it would take away from my "I do" lists if I tried to do all these things. My "I do" list helps me know what I am doing right now and what I need to be doing well today. There are things I hope to add to my "I do" list and know there are some things about myself that I can do better to make such new things happen. By looking at my 'I do" lists I also remind myself of what I need to do to be me.... even the little things like spend time outdoors. I connect to God so much through nature and not taking time to do this, in my opinion, takes away from the way God created me to be with Him.

What's on your lists? I started off just jotting a couple things down and the last month or so have gone back and added more and rewritten some things. I feel a pull for what other's want me to do and this list helps me say no when I need to and to really stay focused on what's needing to have my time, energy, and commitment. Give it a try.... write some I do's and I don'ts down and see how your heart reacts.

1 comment:

  1. I don't... go to bed when I should. Instead I read your blog. :) night! (great post, by the way... I should really make some lists like this! I'm slowly recognizing my don'ts more and more as this child-rearing stage take more and more energy!)

    ReplyDelete