Sunday, January 2, 2011

new goals or not?

With the new year often comes new goals for people. I've never really been a New Years Resolution person, but I do like to check my life balance this time of year. What do I spend my time doing, where do I spend money, who do I spend time with, what relationships do I nurture (or not?), what am I learning in my walk of faith, etc. It's kind of a checks and balance thing for me and to some it may sound like new years resolutions, but I find it just an appropriate time to remind myself to double check what my life looks like. I usually do this in the fall too and typically the same things roll around in my head as I continue to prioritize my life, my purpose, and my calling for right now.

This year it's been a theme of community and family. Really, since I've had kids this has been my yearly themes that I spend much time being intentional about. The last few months though, I'm feeling very pulled to be at home as often, as much, as needed. I am a stay at home mom, but that doesn't always mean you are here physically and emotionally. As my oldest has entered school I have found this takes up more brain space then I expected... to be prepared, to help him succeed, to use the few hours I get a day to train him with life skills, God skills, and fill that love tank. It changes our daily dynamic and does require some new routines that include plenty of time for the listed above. It also makes a difference in my youngest child's life as I work hard to give him the opportunities and time that he needs at his young age at home. I'm also finding I need to be present to provide ample opportunities for family dinners, family nights, Bible teaching times, family fun, book reading, down time, emotional support, and just the bond you get from simply being available for whatever arises. That doesn't even include managing the daily duties of running a household and organizing meals and life for everybody!

Along with being present to provide strong family development, I am feeling the pull to be present within our community of people we've chosen to invest time, energy, relationships, and life with. The last few years I've felt a strong calling to be a part of community...for many reasons. I strongly believe God meant for life to be done alongside others. I'm slowly learning what this really looks like for us. I think community and families go hand in hand and I am trying to figure out how to continue to mesh the two into one.

So however you see these, goals or not, this year I am planning to keep my focus on my family and building community. I'm finding to do these well, I am needing to say no to more things...for this season. Time really flies by with these young children and we have to be very real, present, and intentional with how we spend our minutes... nobody is promised tomorrow after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment