Sunday, August 15, 2010

roots & wings

Being a mom is a BIG job! We all know that, don't we? It requires a lot of work, time, and energy. Doing this mom job though is much more then changing diapers, feeding their bellies, washing their faces, and car pooling to soccer. As mom's we have the opportunity to give the world little people who grow up to be positive, influential, serving, loving, and faith centered adults. These little one's we are molding will shape generations, near and far. They will set the bar for your great grandchildren and beyond.I truly believe this and strongly believe as mom's we have such a task ahead of us of doing our job to help get our kids there. I am sure you have heard the words "roots and wings" used together before, but as a mother it holds so much understanding as we are child rearing.

Once our little bundles of joy arrive we begin our journey of giving them solid roots. Roots that will help them stand tall and firm when life gets hard for them, confusing, or difficult to get through. Roots will give them a place to be landed on the ground and not blowing aimlessly through the winds of life. Roots will give them a secure place to make mistakes. Roots will guide them as they go on and try to fly on their own. And that time will come. We want it to come for them, hard as it is at times, but God intends for these little ones to fly away someday. By giving them deep roots, we also give them wings. Wings to try new things. Wings to see the world from a higher place. Wings to speak up when they need to, be humble when it's right, to reach bigger goals, to love better, to have the confidence to try and succeed, to be a positive, influential, serving, loving, and faith centered adult.

As mother's we can be a great disservice to our children by not taking the time now to help them plant their roots deep into a healthy, loving, faith filled, grace filled, encouraging, patient, kind, and hope filled ground. Roots planted deep in this kind of rich soil is the building ground for helping our little ones fly when the time comes.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I am doing now at home to help my kids dig deep into their roots. I want them to be able to fly someday, on their own. That means I have to work hard now to set the foundation for having a rich soil for their little roots to dig deep into. I only get this chance once with them. Not only do I need to help my kids get grounded with long, strong, deep roots...but I also have to be able to keep my roots planted deep in rich soil. Lately I am finding I need to be planted deeper in God's word and with God. Time away from both of these only make my roots wilt a bit. I want to see my kids fly away someday, but I won't get them there without keeping my own wings afloat. I am challenging myself to do what it takes to keep my roots planted deep in God's rich soil. Along the way, I have a feeling I will be pruning my kid's roots too.

1 comment: