Thursday, July 8, 2010

where to start?

Sitting in my living room with a new mommy the other day brought me so much joy. I love hearing how women transition into being mother's. It is such a precious moment that women who are blessed with children get to experience. What isn't joy filled about that?!?! As all new mom's know... there are many happy joy feelings, but also can be overwhelming, tired, and hormonal feelings. For some mom's who decide to change lifestyles and become a stay home mom it can be a big transition! As we chatted about this and she asked for some advice from a mom who hasn't figured it all out yet, but has been in the home for a handful of years, I came up with just a few things. Mostly things I learned along the way or read from some great author in a book!

I know this blog has mom's reading it! Please share your greatest tips for becoming a stay home mom or even a new mom!

A few from this ole mom...

Have a schedule or at least a routine. Kids and schedules are hard to keep, but routines can be followed. I think children function better with routine, as do mommy's!

Get up before your kids if possible. You will be much more ready to tackle your day with a little time for yourself and you won't start behind! Trying to catch up all day is one heck of a long and tiring day.

Schedule in some Bible time when you are making your new schedule! While you are at it, try including some rec/play time for you & your kids (you'll be amazed how easy it is to get the kids playing and then do your own thing- make time to just play with your kids. You will go to sleep at night much easier knowing you did :)

Pray. Pray for your children, your husband, yourself, your home. Big believer in prayer! Amen!

Teach your children. As you look for new purpose in your new position as stay home mom, add teacher to your list of responsibilities. Teach them about everything. The Word of God, bugs, plants, numbers, making friends, cooking, playing, sharing, just everything.


It is a great time in your life when that bundle of joy arrives and you have a new path to walk down. A bit scary too. Where do you start? Where did you start? Like most mom's say... follow your heart and you can't go wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Great list... I don't know what I would add to it! One thing I've been learning- I'm a really strategic thinker, so I think a lot about what I want my children to know/be 15 years from now. While a little of that is good, I'm learning to chill out and enjoy the moment- focus on the here and now... or else I'll miss today's fun moments while I'm thinking about the future. Did that make sense?? Moms play such a key role in their kids' lives. I'm humbled that God put me in this position to influence generations! (getting up before your kids... now THAT's a hard one!!)

    ReplyDelete