Wednesday, July 14, 2010

sweet corn time!!!

There are many things I love about the Midwest. There are also many things I love about living surrounded by farmers and agriculture. I have many memories as a little girl, following my dad up and down corn rows in my bare feet as he rips off ear upon ear of sweet corn. We would then sit on turned over 5 gallon buckets and husk sweet corn all night and throw the fresh ears of corn into a tin bowl that my mom would come and get every 10 minutes or so. As my mom worked to boil and freeze corn, we would eat multiple ears of corn dripping in butter for dinner. Mmmmmmm, so good!

I love sweet corn and I'm not sure if it has to do with the fond memories of the project it was for me with my parents or because it taste so darn good! Either way, summer and sweet corn go hand in hand at our house. I made a call today to a local farmer and was thrilled when he said I could bring my boys to come pick our own corn and take home with us. What a great trip it will be to have my own children follow me up and down the corn field as we work together to gather our own yumminess. Some childhood traditions are sure worth passing on!

2 comments:

  1. i have some very similar memories from the farm! :) oh and i haven't had any good corn yet...you'll have to tell me your local farmer connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some of those same memories... shucking corn sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck. Mmmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete